Laser-Assisted Synthesis and Processing Group
Group Leader: Rui Vilar
The Laser-Assisted Synthesis and Processing Group includes two poles, one at Instituto Superior Técnico (IST-ULisboa) and the second one at Faculdade de Ciências (FC-ULisboa).
The activity of the group is focused on four main areas:
Ultrafast laser materials processing
- Study of self-organised nanostructures created by ultrafast laser processing and their application in medicine, microfluidics and photonics.
- Spin-dependent properties of hybrid heterostructures created in laser patterned thin films.
- Phase transformations due to ultrafast laser irradiation of materials.
- Ultrafast laser ablation for minimally invasive surgery. Effect of ultrafast laser ablation on the viability of biological tissues
Materials and nanostructures for applications in energy, thermal management and spintronics
- Thermoelectric properties of Si-based heterostructures.
- Study of electrical, magnetic and magnetotransport properties of composite materials for magnetoresistive and spintronic devices.
- Study of physical and electrochemical properties of SnO2/C nanostructures prepared by pulsed laser deposition.
- Synthesis and characterization of core-shell nanoparticles for fuel cells electrocatalysts.
Laser processing and synthesis of metallic and composite materials for medical and aerospace applications
- Laser deposition of single crystalline high-temperature materials for the aerospace industry.
- Laser-assisted combinatorial design of metallic alloys and metal-matrix composite systems.
LIDAR and LIF-LIDAR environmental applications