Responsible and contact person: Vítor Geraldes, ext 1511
The Laboratory supports the research activity of:
– synthesis and characterization of polymeric and mixed-matrix membranes
– analysis of flow structure and mass-transfer in feed channels with membranes, for the development of efficient membrane modules
– development of membrane hybrid processes and membrane reactors, using data from different types of membrane pilot plants
– synthesis and testing of electrochemical materials and processes.
The main objectives of the laboratory are:
– Preparation, functionalization and characterization of polymeric membranes
– Analysis of flow and mass transfer at membrane/fluid interfaces
– Development of membrane hybrid processes and membrane reactors
– Development of active/passive mixing methods for minimization of concentration polarization in membranes modules operating in laminar/creeping flow regimes
– Miniaturization of nanofiltration using micro fluidic devices
– Development of mixed-matrix celullose acetate membranes with silver nano particles
– Separation and purification of RG2 from wines using ultrafiltration
– Synthesis and purification of hydroxamic acids using ultrafiltration
– Analysis of the stability of proteins at freezing temperatures: Computational fluid dynamics simulation of the freezing process and measurement of protein diffusivity
– Nanofiltration and ultrafiltration of pulp and paper liquors for recovery of by-products
Membrane Bench Scale Equipment
Different set-ups are available to the membranes of ultrafiltration, nanofiltration, reverse osmosis, pervaporation, electrodialysis and gas permeation
Pilot plants for Process Evaluation
Water treatment, industrial wastewaters & biorefinery, food, etc.
Ultrafiltration, nanofiltration, reverse osmosis (1 m2 membrane area)
Pervaporation (2 m2 membrane area)
Electrodialisis (0.2 m2 membrane area)
Determination of the zeta potential of membrane surfaces or powders through the measurement of the streaming potential induced by a given flow rate of electrolyte that passes tangentially to the membrane surface or across a bead of powder. Antoon Paar (Germany).
Determination of concentration profiles in two-dimensional flows in slits with mass-transfer at the channel walls; determination of diffusion coefficients of liquid binary mixtures through the record of the unsteady-state concentration profiles in diffusion cells; measurements of binary diffusion coefficients in liquids solutions.
Analysis of disinfection by-products and pesticides in water for human consumption. The equipment has automatic injection (split/splitness), sample preconcentration and two detectors (Electron Capture Detector (ECD) and Photoionisation Detector (PID)).
Determination of the distribution of velocity vector field in micro channels through the technique of Particle Image Velocimetry (PIV). The system has a pulsed laser: model Solo II 15 Hz, from New Wave (Fremont CA, USA). Image acquisition system: Leica and Dantec.
Laboratory equipment for chemical analysis
HPLC (High-Performance Liquid Chromatography), LC (Liquid Chromatography), GC (Gas Chromatography), Total Organic Carbon Analyser, Karl Fischer titration.
Location: IST-Alameda, Torre Sul, floor 11
Access conditions: Within collaborative research work. Contact the scientific researchers in charge.